Guide for Admitted Students
As soon as you receive instructions to activate, or:
- By June 1 for degree programs that start in September
- By May 1 for degree programs that start in June and July
- By January 1 for degree programs that start in January
Check your personal email for instructions to activate your Brown account with your Brown ID. For issues, see the IT Knowledgebase or contact the Office of Information Technology Technology Service Center.
After Activation we Recommend
- Add a mobile number to Banner. This allows you to reset your Brown password should you forget it, and also ensures you are notified should an emergency occur at Brown. To do this, log in to selfservice.brown.edu and click Personal Information.
- Log in to your email. You can simply visit gmail.com and log in with your Brown email address and your Brown password.
- Setup Two-Step Verification. The first time you log in to a Brown service like Banner, you will be prompted to set up a means of verification, such as a phone number. You can log into MyAccount after setup to add additional devices or phone numbers. Read more about two-step verification at brown.edu/go/twostep
International numbers are acceptable and they should be entered with a + in front of the country code. If you don't plan to get a US cell phone once in the country, you can use the smartphone app (Duo Mobile) over wifi or without a connection, or print a sheet of bypass codes from MyAccount.
Deadline to waive coverage
- By July 31, 2023 for programs that begin in the summer and fall
- By January 9, 2024 for programs that begin in the spring 2024
Learn about your graduate student insurance coverage while at Brown. Waive coverage if you are currently enrolled in a comparable plan.
- By July 1 for Master's program (see exclusions below) that start in the summer and fall
- By August 1 for programs for PhD, MFA & BioMedical Master's programs that start in the summer and fall
- By December 15 for PhD, MFA & BioMedical Master's programs that start in the spring
PhD, MFA & BioMedical Master's Programs
Official transcripts for your undergraduate degree, including degree conferral, must be submitted to the Graduate School:
- Via mail to:
Graduate School Admissions
Providence, RI 02912
- Via email from your school's Registrar's Office through an electronic service to firstname.lastname@example.org
All Other Master's Programs
Please refer to the email you received from the Master's Study Enrollment Team directly for detailed instructions.
- By August 1 for the fall semester
- By January 1 for the spring semester
- By June 11 for the summer semester
The University Bursar is responsible for handling all billing questions. For information, deadlines, or forms related to tuition, billing, payment plans and refund policies, please visit the Bursar’s website. See especially the student account and billing information and E-Bill and Payment Guide.
- Deadline: within 3 days of arriving in Providence
- Deadline: approximately 10 days - two weeks after arrival.
- By September 1
Complete the forms online through the Workday.
- On the right hand side of the page, select "Workday Access". Once logged in, check your Workday inbox for required tasks to complete.
- Staff at the Brown Business Center can also help students review their records and assist with the completion of these forms.
Meet the program leadership, administrators, and your advisor. Consult with your advisor prior to registering for courses.
- Fall 2023: September 1 at 4 pm - September 4 at 11:59 pm (except online MPH)
- Spring 2024 for continuing students: November 7 at 12 pm - November 14 at 5 pm (except online MPH)
- By September 8 for fall starts
- By January 19 for spring starts
Complete the I-9 Form process (if you will be receiving a stipend), which can be initiated in Workday before arriving on campus and completed at the HR Service Center, Page-Robinson Hall, room 213. If needed, see instructions for completing the I-9. Also, see a list of acceptable documents.