Graduate School

Student Loans

To supplement the other forms of support they receive from Brown, students may also be eligible for federal direct student loans and other alternative loans.

Student loans for graduate students are administered through the Office of Financial Aid. To be considered for any federal student loans, domestic students are required to submit a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).

  • The FAFSA must be submitted online.
  • Brown University's graduate code for the FAFSA is: E00058.

Submit a FAFSA

The Federal Direct Student Loan Program

The Federal Direct Student Loan program provides Graduate Unsubsidized loans in amounts up to $20,500 per year to eligible applicants in most degree programs. Students who are eligible for federal student loans and complete the FAFSA may also qualify for the credit-based Federal Graduate PLUS loan. International students are not eligible for these loans. 

Learn more about Federal Loans

Should ineligible international or domestic graduate student who require additional loans beyond the Federal Student Loan Program, various alternative loans may be available by private commercial lenders or state loan authorities for the purpose of financing college costs. Eligibility is based on credit and both U.S. citizens and international students (with an eligible U.S. citizen co-borrower) may apply.

Learn more about Private Loans

To learn more about loan-borrowing options, please visit the Office of Financial Aid's website for graduate students or write to the Graduate School Financial Aid counselors at:

Withdrawal & Refund Policy

Federal regulations require that the University have a fair and equitable refund policy for recipients of federal student aid (including the Federal PLUS Loan) who withdraw on or after the first day of a class for a period of enrollment for which the student was charged.

Learn about the Withdrawal & Refund Policy