Graduate School

Student Payroll Procedures

All students entering the Graduate School with any form of financial support are required to complete an Employment Eligibility Verification Form (I-9) form.

I-9 Form

The I-9 form must be completed in person at the HR Service Center, on the second floor of Page-Robinson Hall. Refer to the List of Acceptable Documents for guidance on the types of documents required. Stipend payments will not be disbursed until an I-9 form has been completed. 

Social Security Number

If you do not already have a social security number, you will need to apply for one. Find details about the process and documents required on the Office of International Student and Scholar Services (OISSS) Social Security webpage.


Students receiving stipends from the University (e.g. for assistantships, proctorships, and fellowships) can use direct deposit to have their payroll checks deposited to one or two financial institutions anywhere in the United States; the institution must be a member of the ACH (Automated Clearing House). 


For payroll tax information, please refer to the Payroll Office's website and this FAQ for graduate students. You can also find more information on the Tax Information for Graduate Students webpage.
International Students and Scholars, please refer to the OISSS Taxes website. Your payroll taxation will be determined by using the University's tax assessment software, Sprintax-Calculus, which is offered by the Foreign National Tax Office. Please email their office at to request login credentials.