Graduate School

Financing & Support

The decision to pursue graduate study represents a significant commitment of time, energy, and resources — yours and ours.

Doctoral Students

Students who are admitted to any of Brown's doctoral programs are guaranteed five years of support, including a stipend, tuition remission, health-services fee, and health-insurance subsidy (funding for transfer students may vary). Doctoral students in the Humanities and Social Sciences are guaranteed six years of support. This support can come from a variety of Brown University resources--including Graduate School funds, departmental funds, and faculty research funds--and/or external funds, as applicable.

Incoming doctoral students receive five or six years of guaranteed financial support, including summers, a stipend, tuition remission, a health-services fee, and health and dental insurance.
The Graduate School offers incoming doctoral students five years of guaranteed financial support, including a stipend, tuition remission, health-services fee, and health- and dental-insurance subsidies.

Master’s Students

Financial aid for master’s students is not centrally managed and varies among programs; the majority of students enrolled in master’s programs and engaged in non-degree study are self-supported. If you are interested in a master’s program and have questions about financial aid, please contact the program’s director of graduate study.  

The majority of students enrolled in master’s programs and engaged in non-degree study are self-supported.
To supplement the other forms of support they receive from Brown, students may also be eligible for federal direct student loans and other alternative loans.

Funding & Support

Students’ official letters of admission provide details of their funding packages. All subsequent funding decisions are made at the program level and depend on students' academic progress. Students with funding questions or concerns should contact the program's director of graduate study.

The Brown University tuition will vary by degree program, discipline, and courses required for full-time status. Tuition and fees for all students can be found on the bursar’s website.
Graduate students who are not supported on full-time, tuition-based appointments may choose to find hourly employment during their time at Brown.
All students entering the Graduate School with any form of financial support are required to complete an Employment Eligibility Verification Form (I-9) form.