Graduate School

Emergency Funding Programs

Short-Term Loan

The Brown University Short-Term Loan Program is a zero interest loan made available to students to assist in emergencies. This fund has historically supported students experiencing cash-flow related situations where a buffer is needed immediately. After a request is approved, students must sign a Promissory Note/Acknowledgement and funds must be repaid according to those terms.

Short-Term Emergency Loans cannot assist with a student's costs of tuition, room or board. The maximum amount that can be requested is $500. Eligible students may complete the Short Term Loan Request Form and setup an eRefund Profile at in order to receive the funds electronically. Students must repay all approved Short Term Loans directly to the Brown University Cashier Office before the end of the current semester. 


Students may apply remotely. Newly matriculated students who will be starting in the fall term are eligible starting in August. 

Primary Contacts

PhD and MFA students Maria Suarez, Associate Dean of Student Support in the Graduate School

All other master’s students Janaé Perkins, Assistant Dean of Student Affairs

Graduate School Emergency Funding

The Graduate School has established emergency funding for graduate students who find themselves with an urgent, unexpected financial need. There are three separate applications: the ‘Graduate School E-Gap Fund for Doctoral and MFA Students’, the ‘SPS E-Gap Fund for Master's and Professional Students’ and the ‘Medical Student E-Gap Fund’. All applications can be found in UFunds, under ‘Graduate Student E-Gap Funds’. 

Emergency support may come in the form of a cash payment (typically capped at $500), meal credits, or other support as available and appropriate. We give emergency funding requests the fullest consideration that our available resources will permit. Students can expect to receive a response to their application within 2-3 business days.


Students should apply to the appropriate e-gap application depending on which program they are enrolled in (PhD/MFA, medical, or other master’s). Doctoral and MFA students are eligible to apply for e-gap funding once in their academic career, though additional applications from students in extenuating circumstances, particularly those related to food needs, will be considered. Students on leave are not eligible to apply.

Graduate students in their first year who received a first-year supplemental fellowship payment are generally not eligible for e-gap funding, but may be eligible for meal points. If a first-year PhD or MFA student is experiencing urgent financial need, they should contact Maria Suarez, Associate Dean of Student Support in the Graduate School.

Emergency funding is not available for the reimbursement of technology purchases. Students needing to replace or repair a computer may find the IT Service Center's loaner laptop program to be a helpful bridge (loans are up to two weeks in length). Students also have the option of a Short-Term Loan (see the top of this page).

Primary Contacts

PhD and MFA students Maria Suarez, Associate Dean of Student Support in the Graduate School
All other master’s students - Janaé Perkins, Assistant Dean of Student Affairs
Medical students Roxanne Vrees, Associate Dean for Student Affairs in the Warren Alpert Medical School