The steps below must be completed by September 9, 2022 to ensure that you receive your first-year supplemental fellowship payment of $1,200 on September 16 and your first regular stipend payment on September 30.
Complete the I-9 Process
All students must complete the I-9 process steps below to receive payments from Brown:
- Submit the I-9 Form and complete all onboarding tasks in Workday (instructions can be found on the I-9 Forms webpage)
- Visit the HR Service Center in person (Page-Robinson Hall, Room 213) to present your original, unexpired documentation for the I-9 Form. Please refer to the List of Acceptable Documents for guidance on the types of documents required.
You are welcome to visit the HR Service Center anytime after you arrive in Providence - and we encourage you to complete the I-9 process as soon as possible! There will also be dedicated times set up during International Student Orientation (August 24-26) for you to complete the process.
All international students are required to enter data pertaining to immigration and tax status in the Foreign National Information System (FNIS) annually AND each time you enter or leave the country, regardless of the length of time you were away. Current information is required to ensure that correct taxes are applied. More information is available on the FNIS Instructions webpage.
Please contact the following offices with any questions related to:
- Onboarding and I-9 process: HR Service Center, email@example.com
- Visa questions or travel issues: OISSS, firstname.lastname@example.org
- FNIS or tax related questions: Controller’s Office, email@example.com
Receipt of Payment
All fully funded graduate students will receive their regular stipend payment at the end of each month (see the Student Employee FAQ section on the Controller’s Office General Information/FAQ webpage). Please note that if you sign up for direct deposit, you may still receive your first payment as a check if the direct deposit setup process is not fully completed prior to payments being disbursed. You can find more information about how to sign up for direct deposit on the Controller’s Office General Information/FAQ page.
Brown University Graduate School