Graduate School

Doctoral Research Travel Grant

The Doctoral Research Travel Grant provides funding for doctoral students traveling to conduct scholarly research, either within the US or internationally.

Adam Lanman
Adam Lanman and more than 200 other PhD students received summer travel funds. He went to Australia to help construct a radio telescope array used for astrophysical and cosmological research.

Doctoral students can apply to the Graduate School for up to $1000 to cover travel and related expenses for scholarly research. Given funding limitations, an application does not guarantee support. Some programs have independent funds to support such travel; students should check with their Director of Graduate Study (DGS) for more information.

*Please note that in an effort to more equitably meet the current travel funding needs of graduate students, starting Summer 2022, the Doctoral Research Travel Grant will not be a matching award and no longer requires that students receive funding from outside sources to be eligible to apply.

All applications and associated documentation must be submitted online through UFunds. Please email with any questions. 

Award Eligibility

  • Doctoral students in years 1 - 6 or on a COVID Appointment Extension
    Students are eligible to apply for doctoral research travel funding if they are active doctoral students in years 1-6 or doctoral students on a COVID Appointment Extension during the entire duration of the travel associated with the award. Students currently on leave are not eligible. Master’s students are not eligible. Students enrolled in degree programs in the Division of Biology and Medicine are not eligible; please see the BioMed Travel Awards.

  • Traveling for research
    The Doctoral Research Travel Grant is available for both domestic and international research travel. Students must provide a one-page summary of proposed research activities. Please note that travel to attend courses, workshops, meetings, or conferences is not eligible for this award.

  • Provide a copy of your Graduate Student Digital CV (GSDCV)
    Students must provide a current copy of their Graduate Student Digital CV. More information about the GSDCV can be found on the Graduate School’s GSDCV page.

  • One successful Doctoral Research Travel Grant per academic year
    Students can receive one Doctoral Research Travel Grant per academic year (June 1 through May 31) as determined by the end date of  travel.

  • Apply at least 14 days before the start of your travel
    Applications must be submitted through UFunds at least 14 days before the start of travel. Students not able to make this deadline should email to see if an exception can be made. This requirement allows the Graduate School time to process applications and notify students whether they will receive funding or not prior to the start of travel.

  • Provide an approved Safety Plan, if applicable
    All students are required to register their travel plans in TravelSafe and, in addition, some international travel destinations require completion of a Safety Plan in TravelSafe and approval from the Global Travel Risk Assessment Committee (GTRAC). Find current US DOS travel advisory levels in TravelSafe by clicking on the 'Travel Advisories' tab (destinations at Level 3 or 4 - designated at High Risk - require GTRAC approval). Check Brown’s current travel guidelines and requirements on the International Travel Risk Management webpage. Additionally, transactions with comprehensively embargoed countries, including certain academic collaborations and the exchange of research materials, may require authorization from the government. If you are considering collaborating with or traveling to an embargoed country, you must contact Brown's Export Control Team well in advance.

Using your Doctoral Research Travel Grant

The Doctoral Research Travel Grant is processed as a reimbursement through a student’s home department. Prepaid expenses such as airfare and prepaid hotel rooms can be submitted for reimbursement prior to travel. Expenses that are not paid for in advance, as well as per diem meals, can be submitted once the student returns from travel. All documentation should be submitted to a student’s home department for processing within 30 days of the completion of travel. 

Please refer to the Graduate Travel Fund Reimbursement Guidelines for details about the reimbursement process and what documentation to submit.

Other Funding Opportunities