Graduate School

International Applicants

Graduates of non-U.S. colleges and universities who have completed the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor's degree may apply for admission to the Brown University Graduate School.

Along with the application, international applicants must provide the Graduate School with original documents or official certified copies indicating the nature and scope of their educational program. 

Brown Graduate School remains unwavering in its commitment to attracting the most talented and promising students from all countries of origin, cultures, races, religions, identities and experiences, and to cultivating an environment that ensures the free exchange of ideas and advancement of knowledge.

Academic Year Costs

All academic year costs can be found on the bursar’s website.

Living Expenses (est.)

  • 9 months: $24,930 
  • 12 months: $33,240
Brown's Office of International Student & Scholar Services provides counsel and advice to admitted international students on matters related to visas and immigration status.
Expenses for international students for the current academic year at Brown vary from depending on degree and program.
Incoming doctoral students receive five years of guaranteed financial support, including a stipend, tuition remission, a health-services fee, and a health-insurance subsidy. Doctoral students in the Humanities and Social Sciences are guaranteed six years of support.

Proof of Financial Support

International students who are not awarded full financial assistance will not be granted final admission in their master's program until they provide certified proof of financial support (including travel to and from the U.S.) adequate to meet annual expenses. 

Plan for Costs

Expenses will likely be highest during the first month at Brown, while settling into lodging. To plan for these costs, please see the Financial Considerations page, which provides a guideline and web resources. For those who will receive financial assistance, please note that the stipend checks are issued monthly and the first one comes on the last business day of September. 

Financial Considerations

Family During the First Semester

International graduate students are advised to carefully consider the implications of bringing their families during the first semester of study. This time is meant for students to familiarize themselves with their surroundings, settle into their studies, and look for suitable living accommodations.

  • Brown does not offer on-campus housing for married graduate students.
  • To obtain permission to bring a spouse, a student must be in a position to provide additional evidence of funding of $6,996 for the spouse's support.
  • The amount required to bring in each child is $4,980.

More Information

For further information and to request issuance of a dependent document please consult the OISSS website.

Information describing the TOEFL and IELTS exams: who needs to take them, minimum scores, registration, etc. Note: the Graduate School does not accept the Duolingo English proficiency test.
English language training is available to new international students during the academic year, through a collaborative effort of the Center for Language Studies (CLS) and the Graduate School.